Before you start shopping for "your dress" remember that the most important fashion rule is that YOU make your own fashion rule as you know your body best. You know what fits best for you, you know what you want and what works for you! Proceed keeping in mind that most important tip you should know is "know what to pick for your body type and shape", and remember that in the world fashion is all about illusion!
Petites: Usually in the fashion world the term "petite" refers to the woman's height and not to her body size. Women who are 5'4" are considerate to be "petite" women. Clothing made for petite women have different proportions than clothing made for average height women. The best tips for petites are:
- Wear clothes with less fabric in the torso area as well as shorter rise in pants to get slimmer effect
- Wear possibly one color from head to toe. If that is not possible then try to pick colors that are very close to each other. Example blue top and dark royal pants. This help create an elongating look, which makes you appear slimmer and taller.
- Show some leg. Wear a mini dress a instantly look taller. There are different mini dresses or otherwise called dresses with a short hemline that you can choose from. Find the hemline that best suits your type of body. Create a longer silhouette with a simple column style dress or if you are short-waisted, try an empire style dress or A-line style dress. It will take the attention of the waistline and give the illusion of an elongated silhouette.
- Wear high heels- it will create the illusion of a taller silhouette.
- Wear dresses with V-shape neckline, halter, strapless or sweetheart
- Wear long, colorful necklaces to "take the eye off" your height- anything to distract the human eye and create the illusion...
Slender/ Small Busted: Many women think that being skinny is the way to go as they are no worries, right? As always there is more to the story. Slender women or also called "skinny" have difficulty as they are very slim to find clothes that fit them well or make them look feminine. If you are lacking on curves here are some suggestions:
- If your bust is small, you need dresses that have bust padding. That will give the illusion of a lager/ bigger breast.
- Wear dresses that will enhance and embrace your body as a second skin, tightly fitted for minimal mishaps. Pick dresses with embellishments such as ruffles, embroidery, ruching, ornate beadwork- anything that will add volume and curves to your body. Empire dresses are ok, as is a fitted dress but the maximum result will be achieved when the bodice is embellished/ decorated. Choice from our Empire, A-line, Ball gowns designer dresses.
Slender/ Big Busted: If you are big busted you need support, then opt for a bodice with straps that will help you keep it all in. Full coverage V-necks are good choice as they flatter your neckline without showing too much cleavage. Spaghetti Straps dresses, halter dress are great as in most cases you can adjust them to fir you best. Empire waist is also a good choice but will be best if embellished so it can take the human eye off your bust area. Embellishments like sequins, rhinestones, paillettes works very good for you. Stay away from ruffles and extra material on the bodice/ top as you do not need any extra curves and volume they bring. You can also try to deflect attention from your bust line by wearing a dress with details at the hemline.
The Rectangle Body Shape or also known as Athletic/ Brick: You are the "gym" type. Your body is toned all over. You are straight throughout with no visible curves. You have wide shoulders and toned legs. Missing- feminine shape and curves
- To create the illusion of a feminine shape opt for empire gown that will add definition and shape to your silhouette. Try a ball gown as the full skirt and tight to the body bodice, will emphasize your waistline and create the illusion of a natural feminine silhouette.
- For your wider shoulder pick dresses that will "show them of". Covering your shoulder may make them look even bigger. A halter, strapless dress with a narrow, tight bodice looks great. You will expose your shoulders and slim the midsection which will give the illusion of an hourglass, feminine silhouette.
The Apple Body Shape: Women with this type of shape usually have an upper body that is larger then their lower body. You need to create more curves to your bottom part for a curvy overall illusion
- Opt for a dress that has a high-waist. Empire dress is a good choice, A-line style dress is another option, as long as you pick a dress with boning for a slimming effect.
The Pear Body Shape or also known as a Triangle or Bell: You have a smaller upper body and larger hips, thighs and legs. You need to make the illusion of a slimmer bottom body
- Opt for dresses that show off your assets, or best part of your body- your top part. You need dresses that emphasize the top part of your body/ bodice and loosely goes down to the bottom of your body. Strapless bodices are the best choice for your type body. A-line dress, empire or ball gown with strapless bustier or a halter with circular neckline are the confident way to go!
The Full- Figured Body Shape: Women with this type of shape are heavy throughout. You have a large frame a large bust and curves
- Opt for dresses that will give you a slimming effect. A-line dress will create a slimming effect throughout the waist line and will loosely and gently flow around your lower body. A ball gown with a corset top will emphasize your upper body and "hide" your lower body. The empire dress is a good option as well, halter dress with thick straps, V-neck dresses or sweetheart necklines, any of those as long as they keep the human eye to the upper part of your body.
The Hourglass Body Shape: A defined waist and curvy upper and lower body are typical for this style shape. You have natural curves. You need to emphasize on your waistline. You can show your curves but you need to create the illusion of a slimmer lower body.
- Opt for a ball gown with a full body skirt.
- Go for an embellished A-line dress that will embrace your upper curves and will "hide" your lower body. Try embellishments like sequins, rhinestones, paillettes to add additional shine and light to your dress. In that way the human eye will be busy admiring the beautiful colors and shine those embellishment brings instead of "measuring" and judging your body.
Those are some suggestions we have for you. After all "THE FASHION WORLD" is only an illusion that a perfect body, and perfect beauty exist!